I love spending time with my kids, but honestly it's a lot easier when they're healthy and when the weather is nice! They've watched their share of tv, but there is only so much i can take of that! So, here are a few things we've been doing to keep busy...
1. Shape & Glue Dinosaurs - Our boys LOVE the book Danny & the Dinosaur. it's a classic. I bought the vintage version because I think it looks more fun and reminds me of my childhood. But seriously, what boy doesn't LOVE dinosaurs?!?! So on this particular day we were stuck inside and i came across this inspiration for dinosaur creativity! I cut out a bunch of geometric shapes, put them in bowls and asked the boys what one they wanted to make. We have a bunch of art supplies at home, including glue sticks so we were set! I helped our youngest (2yrs) but the older boys did most of it on their own, with a bit of help.
2. Reading Books & Reading Eggs ~ They also like to read, most of all the little guy. He mostly likes picture books. Mostly this one. Seriously, i've secretly thought about hiding it so he can't find it... because he chooses it EVERY SINGLE TIME! But reading is a great way to spend time away from the tv. I wish we did more of it! Our boys are really into the easy readers that have tranformers, spiderman and cars. Mostly they like to look at the pictures, but they think they are super cool!
When they're home sick we also have extra time in our day to focus on learning. We subscribed to this program called ReadingEggs.com a few months ago and Lucas really loves it! It teaches literacy through games. He actually loves doing it so it's a win-win. We also got a math program free when we signed up, so he's learning his letters & his numbers! He just turned 5, but they don't teach the alphabet in preschools here, so i decided to start teaching him at home! If you're interested you can look into it here Reading Eggs - Free 4 Week Trial!
3. Board Games for Toddlers ~ Our little guys (5&3) are just learning to take turns and at the very beginning phase of playing games. But here are their current favourites:
- Shopping List ~ it's a fun version of the classic memory. each player gets a grocery cart or basket to fill and a shopping list. you have to find all the items and fill your cart! i LOVE that one of the lists is on a cell phone!
- Zingo ~ a fun word/vocabulary game that works like bingo. i like it because it's education and fun for the kids
- Mike The Knight: Mike's Treasure Hunt Game ~ a simple board game, that is actually a puzzle with a spinner on it. no dice to lose :) and the boys love mike the knight!
4. Playing in the Snow ~ i know, i know... sick kids shouldn't play in the snow, but our pediatrician said it was fine for them to go outside as long as they don't have a fever. I have 3 boys. 3 very active little boys. So since we all go a little crazy (them figuratively, me literally!) if we have to be in the house all day i took her up on it!
5. Potato Stamp Painting ~ i remember doing this as a kid, so i thought i'd give it a try with the boys. It was a success, especially batman stamp! To read more check out this post.