So one of the activities on our advent calendar this year was make bird feeders. We had all the supplies, the boys were excited but this one was hard for toddlers. I won't call it a complete fail, since they turned out looking nice. But seriously the recipe i found on a blog i follow were horrible (only gelatin + water + bird seed). I had to save the mixture by throwing some other things in the mix (flour + honey) to make the gelatin mixture thicker... so eventually it worked. But it was messy.
Besides helping add ingredients to the pot there wasn't much the boys could do. They were good sports about it though and coloured these fun pictures of bird feeders from their winter colouring books!
They turned out okay but i think next year i may try suet instead of gelatin. Not sure it will be any less messy! We ended up with about 9 and decided to give some of them to the neighbours as gifts.
We kept one to hang on the tree and hung a few outside our house too (even though we don't have any snow yet!) After i made them i realized that they are probably a bad idea since we have a bird problem in our roof! We'll see if they get any action... if the pigeons start feeding on them they may need to go... here's to hoping we get some pretty blue birds or cardinals.