7 Oct 2014

On Motherhood :: Quiet Time vs. Chaos



As I began to learn what it meant to walk with Jesus as a young Christian i was introduced to "the quiet time" early on.  In the Bible we read, “Be and know that I am God..." (Psalm 46:10) and, "In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and prayed." (Mark 1:35) So it must be the spiritual thing to do... have a quiet time, right?

For years i "perfected" the quiet time routine of reading my bible, journalling and praying. Honestly it all went quite smoothly until i had kids... and my quiet time faded into chaos. The irony is not lost on me that i've already been interrupted... {i've lost track} times while writing this...


Quiet. Quiet? Quiet is the last thing that describes my life as a mom.


Chaos? yes. 

Quiet? no.

To some degree i think the "quiet time" is something the 20th century North American church came up with as a measure of being spiritual or something. Because when you think back to first century Christianity, followers of Jesus had his example but very few of them had access to the scriptures. They mostly knew about God and his ways through song and teaching in the synagogue/church. Lets be honest it was only with the invention of the printing press the first Bible in English was even printed in 1525. So for over 1500 years people didn't have access to the written word of God, and certainly couldn't pull it up on their iphones! Not to mention the Israelites who wandered in the desert and the rest of the crew that God called his chosen people who lived in the Old Testament days. Yet the Bible says, "Enoch walked faithfully with God" (Genesis 5:24)


So recently my question has been how can i walk faithfully with Jesus... how can i worship God in the chaos? 


I love how in Ecclesiastes 3 the writer talks about how there is "
an appointed time for everything." 

...there is a time for every event under heaven

A time to give birth and a time to die;

A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted...

A time to weep and a time to laugh...
A time to keep and a time to throw away.

There is actually 14 of these statements! But i would also add...
A time for quiet and a time for chaos. {modified}
Here are some ways i'm trying to do that:
1. I'm reading Jesus Calling by Sarah Young as often as i can, and i give myself grace when i miss days
2. I read my kids the Jesus Storybook Bible. It sometimes moves me to tears. It's beautifully written and i love how every story whispers His name. It's by far the best little kid Bible i've ever seen!
3. I sing worship songs with my kids. Jesus Loves Me, Hosanna and Sanctuary are the current favourites. I love the power of music to help my kids (and me!) remember truth about who God is.
4. I pray when i peel potatoes, and fold laundry and take the kids to the park... 
5. I open the Bible app on my phone as often as i can and try to read for 5 minutes. Sometimes i feel like i read the same verses over and over again, but at least it keeps my spot bookmarked, and God's word always gives life!

I'm learning how to walk with Jesus in the chaos that is motherhood.  And that amidst changing dirty diapers, feeding hungry tummies and training them up in the way they should go there is a way that is deep and profound that my heart can stay fixed on my saviour whom i desperately long for them to know. Their creator and the only One who can give their lives ultimate meaning and make their eternity secure.


If you want to join me, recently i've had a longing to pray for my kids in a more directed way. There are 30 simple prayers i'll be posting on facebook over the next month or so. Feel free to join me in praying these things for your kids every day or just one day! And rest assured that you are not alone in the craziness & chaos but that ultimately Jesus is your guide and friend on this journey and there are other moms praying for the wisdom and strength to live and love their little ones well too!



0 comments: