12 Feb 2014

On Motherhood :: When Sleep Deprivation Hits Hard



Seriously.

Last night i hardly slept at all.

And as i got up one of a million times to calm or feed baby, on my way to the bathroom, i heard a voice in my heart, "God created it this way"... seriously? what? are you kidding me?

But He did.

These little ones who need us... who need to eat... who need mommy's milk to sustain and grow them. That's HIS good design.

And i realized in that moment how much this whole sleep deprivation thing is causing me... forcing me to need HIM.

That's His design too. That life's trials and challenges would cause us to run into the arms of Jesus. exhausted. needy. tired.

Too often i try to do things in my own strength. And the unfortunate thing is too often i somewhat succeed. So i'm thankful for times like this in my life that remind me of my weakness.


This verse once again takes on new meaning in this phase of life:
    But (again) he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 

    2 Corinthians 12:9

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You learned young in your mothering life what I didn't learn until many years later.....keep leaning on The Lord, He is your only hope in sleep deprivation

Jessica said...

Krista, I'm learning it too, as this has been the hardest 4.5 months of my life in terms of exhaustion. Only 1 baby and I'm falling apart...and unfortunately I'm not very fast to run into my Lord's helping arms. I do understand that Sacrifice is a necessary part of parenting, and the more I empty myself for her, the more God pours strength into me. I also think about Heb 2:18 "For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." and Heb 4:15 "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet he did not sin." These verses give me strength and help in my time of need

Krista said...

Thanks for sharing Jessica! In many ways i look forward to the 6 month mark, where they can sleep through the night (whether they will is another thing!) but i also don't want these 'little days' to go by too quickly - - i can't believe he's already 2 months old! You're doing great. He indeed is able to empathize with our weaknesses... a good reminder in my weaknesses that i don't need to sin (aka. be unkind to those around me!)