18 Jul 2011

Random Thoughts :: perseverance



I often think of the Christian life as a race, maybe because of my 'former life' as an athlete, maybe because that is how Paul describes it [1cor 9.24]. When i think of this race i think of the longest race i ever ran. It was probably only about 5km, but memories of trekking the muddy path in the forest, turning the bend and to face the steep hill right before the end... only to slide down and fall, small stones scraping my hands and arms and mud covering my clothes. I wanted to cry. I wanted to give up. I was tired, i was embarrassed, i was dirty. I'll never forget that moment, because i made a decision... a decision to keep going. Crossing the finish line was glorious. relieving. victorious.

Will i keep going in this life when it gets hard?


#do not lose heart

is a phrase we find over and over again in Paul's writings. I think this phrase is a synonym for "persevere", but i like the way it sounds better.
do not lose heart. i think it equally acknowledges human weakness, and the difficult trials of life and in spite of them encourages the reader [us] to keep going.


consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
[hebrews 12.3]

We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.[1thes 1.3]

This theme of endurance, of perseverance is one that God is bringing to mind over and over in my life recently.... and oddly enough i don't feel like there are any "major trials" facing me or our family right now. How kind of Him to be teaching me the depths of this truth when the going seems easy. I know sooner or later I will be needing to lean on it! [1 Pet 4.12]

Jesus inspires me. He encourages me to not grow weary or lose heart! And i can't wait to cross the finish line of this race and see him face to face!

0 comments: