22 Jul 2011

Family Life :: Rhubarb-Strawberry Coffee Cake

Last week my friend Leah, from Dallas posted this recipe on her blog, which i thought looked pretty yummy! So i set out to figure out how to say RHUBARB in Polish and using my handy online dictionary and quickly discovered a new favorite polish word ~ rabarbar :)

Growing up this stuff grew like a weed in our backyard and I'm sure my sister still has more than she knows what to do with every summer! Since strawberries are also my favourit-ist fruit every i thought it looked like a good combo.

You can find Leah's recipe here - Rhubarb-Strawberry Coffee Cake

Here are some of the modifications i had to make to it living in Poland :)


yummy fresh strawberries - i used about 2 cups of strawberries (+1/2 cup of sugar extra)


rabarbar


i didn't have any 'lemon juice' so i decided the easiest thing would be to make my own.
Poles love lemons, especially in their tea, so you can find them at any corner store.
i used 1/2 a lemon squeezed. man they smell good!


i also learned something during my baking endeavor...
that poles call corn starch => corn flour
good thing i had some in the cupboard!


instead of buttermilk i used kefir
for the longest time i didn't know what kefir was in English...
but then one day a friend was talking about kefir...
so i guess that's the English word for it too.
i guess it's supposed to be super healthy.
i ended up adding about 1 1/2 cups (leah's recipe
says 1 cup of buttermilk, but i think kefir is a little thicker)


this cake dough is super yummy!


almost ready to bake!


ready for the oven.

I don't have a final picture but it was SOOOOOO yummy!
I'm considering trying it with some other fruit fillings too.

0 comments: