31 Jul 2010

"Give Me Scotland!"



During my last class @Dallas Theological Seminary I had the privilege of learning from one of my favourtie professors. The class was on how God changes us into His likeness (sanctification) and about the church (ecclesiology).

During one of his lectures my professor was talking about John Knox. He said that he was not a great speaker, or theologian, nor was he impressive physically… but he was sold out for the cause of Christ.

His soul cried out, “Lord, give me Scotland, or I die!”

And the Lord did.

In essence he was saying, "LORD, use me. Not because of who I am, but because of who YOU are." What an encouragement this was to my soul. It reminded me that God's power is sufficient even in our weakness (2 Cor 12.9), that God delights to use the weak things of the world and the things that are not (1 Cor 1.27-28). What a great reminder that, "we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."(2 Cor 4.7).


It is freeing to know that God's work is dependent on God's power. All He asks of us is to

=> OBEY

=> GO

=> SURRENDER

=> BELIEVE

0 comments: