14 Jun 2010

I Do.

The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2.18

This verse reminds me a lot of my friend Natalie. Last semester Natalie and I were roommates as I preparing to marry Ben. This semester Natalie has been preparing a wedding! It has been beautiful to watch her love and serve her now husband, Matthew. They both have a desire to serve the Lord overseas, and Natalie is constantly encouraging, cooking and making people feel loved and at home in her apartment.

As i think about what it means to be a "helper" it is encouraging to have learned a little about the meaning of the original word in Hebrew, "ezer". Ezer is used many times in the Bible to describe God's role in relationship to us. He is OUR help. Such as in this verse...

"I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth"

Psalm 121.1-2

The word also carries the meaning "strength". How beautiful it is to work together with a man for God's glory in His eternal kingdom. I am very much still learning what it means to be Ben's "strength" and "helper". Natalie's wedding was a beautiful reminder to me of the covenant and beauty of marriage the way that God has designed it. Watching my husband serve in humility and love at the reception, also makes me love him more.





1 comments:

Just Us - The Carlsons said...

How many weddings have you been to in the last 2yrs?????

Love seeing all your photos.