7 Sep 2009

the cost of discipleship


Yesterday in church the pastor talked about Dietrich Bonhoeffer...
This German Lutheran pastor, born in Wroclaw, Poland wrote a book called The Cost of Discipleship. For a long time I have wanted to read about his life...
Yesterday 3 things struck me:

#1) that Jesus died for his message
#2) that Bonhoeffer died for Jesus' message
#3) that i need to be willing to die for Jesus' message

This quote also struck to my core...
"I have come to the conclusion that I made a mistake in coming to America. I must live through this difficult period in our national history with the people of Germany. I will have no right to participate in the recon­struction of Christian life in Germany after the war if I do not share the trials of this time with my people...Christians in Germany will have to face the terrible alternative of either willing the defeat of their nation in order that Christian civilization may survive or willing the victory of their nation and thereby destroying civilization. I know which of these alternatives I must choose but I cannot make that choice from security."

There are Christians around the world, even today, that suffer greatly for proclaiming the message of Jesus. Am I willing to join them? After the war is over, the GREAT WAR that is taking place in the spiritual realm... how will i feel if i have chosen the comfortable road, instead of the one that Jesus chose...

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. Mark 8.35

0 comments: