19 Dec 2008

The Virtue of Patience




"Be patient, be patient, don't be in such a hurry
When you get impatient, you only start to worry
Remember, remember, that God is patient too
And think of all the times when others had to wait for you!"

The lyrics of a song my mom taught me when I was little are sweetly resounding through my head as I was sitting at the DFW airport waiting for my plane on the way home.

It dawned on me that patience can be seen in a little child of five, and yet lacking in a full grown business man. Sometimes I think we assume that these little virtues grow with age? But do they really? Am I more patient, more loving, more kind than I was 4 months ago when I started seminary?

How quickly we can get irritated when the cashier at the supermarket is learning or just, honestly isn’t very efficient at her job. How long can I wait for people to move out of the way so that I can get where I am going? How does my inner demeanor change when things don’t go the way I expected?

Cell phones are both a blessing and a curse. How quickly we pick them up to call and complain, to find refuge in a detached loved one who will either fuel my dissatisfaction in the way things are, or at least feel sorry for me.

So I want to make sure that I don’t just assume the things like love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control are 'growing' in my life but tend to them as to a beautiful garden that needs watering, sunshine, fertilizer and yes, sometime de-weeding.

0 comments: