8 May 2008

Faith.

"Faith is not a pathetic sentiment, but robust vigorous confidence built on the fact that God is holy love. You cannot see Him just now, you cannot understand what He is doing, but you know Him. Shipwreck occurs where there is not that mental poise which comes from being established on the eternal truth that God is holy love. Faith is the heroic effort of your life, you fling yourself in reckless confidence on God."
- My Utmost for His Highest


The reading this morning reminded me of a conversation that i had a with a young girl earlier this week. And that sometimes it's not so easy to believe... sometimes you know with your head that God is good... but it feels like God is not good to you. This young girl is desperately struggling in life and due to many issues is worried about being homeless... meaning living at the train station.

During our conversation i told her about the guy in the bible that said "i do believe. help me overcome my unbelief" and that sometimes i too have moments where i struggle to believe. I reminded her that God created her and that He doesn't make mistakes.

After leaving our meeting she went to look at an apartment and someone called, responding to her "looking for a room" advertisement. And she called me excited that she has a place to live. I am so glad that like Hagar (whom Sarah was mistreating) we have a God who 'sees' us. And that sometimes, when it is hard for us to believe in God's goodness we have friends like Jonathan who can help us find strength in God.

"You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me."
- Hagar (Gen 16.13)

And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God. - 1 Sam 23.16

0 comments: