23 Apr 2008

Oswald Chambers on Discipleship


It amazes me how My Utmost for His Highest through the years continues to speak to me about truths of who God is and what he does and does not want from me... this morning i was reading and was struck by 2 things... the power of a surrendered life- how that is what i really want to see in the lives of the youth i am working with... that they are sold out for God- that with their whole being they want to know him and become like him. I feel privileged to know a few young Polish women like this and to be a part of their lives!

The second thing that struck me was the "if - then" call of Christ to follow him. Sometimes i feel like dictating to the kids... "you must help with camp"... "you need to be at this meeting" but i love the invitation of our Lord... "if" If you serve me, you will experience true life with me. I love the fact that i have that option. I want the kids to know the same. The invitation to true life and an amazing journey... and the freedom to chose.

"...our work as His disciples is to disciples lives until they are wholly yielded to God. One life wholly devoted to God is of more value to God than one hundred lives simply awakened by His Spirit. As workers for God we must reproduce our own kind spiritually, and that will be God's witness to us as workers. God brings us to a standard of life by His grace, and we are responsible for reproducing that standard in others...

many of us are dictators, we dictate to people and to meetings. Jesus never dictates to us in that way. Whenever Our Lord talked about discipleship, He always prefaced it with an "IF", never with an emphatic assertion- "You must." Discipleship carries an option with it."

0 comments: