13 May 2006

Taking time to smell the lilacs...


Someone once said "take time to smell the roses"... in Poland it is lilac season, and they are beautifully in bloom. I realize that i very rarely in life take time to enjoy the little things.

The past few weeks i have been doing exactly that, enjoying life. This week i painted my bedroom, lilac colour :) It took a long time, but i think painting maybe is therapy for the soul. It reminds me that my soul too, like my apartment, needs maintenance. It is not an 'unspiritual thing' to paint- in some ways it can actually be quite spiritual. True, it is not eternal, the paint will one day fade, but i can't help but think that God truly appreciates the details in the way things look... why else would he have put so much beauty in the sky at sunset the tiniest little crystal under a microscope?

I have actually decided to take the next few months to 'restore my soul' and will be spending some time at my favourite place on earth in Northern Canada. A friend of mine gave a talk last night about letting the Good Shepherd restore us- and how Jesus knew that doing his fathers will was what truly brought him life. Do we truly trust that He knows best how to restore us?

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psalm 23

2 comments:

Emily said...

So excited to see you when you come through Ohio. I am totally with you on the whole painting thing, by the way. When I moved in to my house last year I needed to have a bright yet soothing color in my room. Normally not an all-out fan for green, I found an awesome shade of green: 'Asparagus.' I was drawn to this specific color, and I'm so glad I just went with it! This color draws me in and I enjoy relaxing in my little place.

Spc. Freeman said...

Where I come from, the lilacs grow wild, EVERYWHERE. On a clear summer evening, the air reeks of the stuff. I miss it.