28 Mar 2006

The Theory of Visa's



Until a few days ago I would say that i basically had a theory that visa's were given to lengthen your stay on foreign soil. But i realize that there may have been some serious error in my thinking.

I am currently in the process of waiting for my new 'karta pobytu' or residency card here in Poland, given my last one ended March 22nd. I didn't worry much about it, as we can stay in Poland on our passport for 3 months. Since my roomate needed to get her passport stamped we recently crossed the border to visit Berlin, Germany and promptly visit all AMERICAN fast food joints that we lack in Poland (Subway, Burger King, Starbuck, Dunkin' Donuts...).

Unfortunately the Polish government seems to have adopted a policy of making staying here easy for EU citizens and increasingly difficult for other foreigners (including Americans & Canucks). They have sent me on a wild goose chase all over the city attaining paperwork which i don't understand from offices which i'm convinced are still run by the communists.

So the other day I took in what i believe to be the last of the 'needed paperwork' to allow them to grant me to stay 1 more year, when i will have to go through the whole process again. When the lady says, "O, your card expired, we will give you a visa". My first thought was, GREAT! They want to help me out. That was until i signed the paperwork and took my passport back, only to find out they are letting me stay another 2 WEEKS! Way to make the FOREIGNERS FEEL WELCOME! Praying that they will grant me my residency card by that time, or i may end up having to leave the country before my parents who are coming to visit me for 2 weeks over that time! It wouldn't be the first time they kicked me out :)

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ah, you're a trooper. I will be praying for you. I just received your Dad's email about their upcoming visit to Poland. They are so excited to come, and it seems from his email he indicated that all of their team members are aware of some trials that are going on right before they're scheduled to leave. Seems to me that in light of all the work you're doing for God it's rather timely, what with your church's soon-to-be visit, that your mission might be thwarted. I'll be praying for favor and for your ability to stay while your parents are visiting. May you stay encouraged knowing that God is fighting for you! Get 'em, girl!
Love ya-Em

Eric Asp said...

I feel your pain, Krista. We've had some of the same issues here in Holland (although they've actually gotten better over the last three years). If you need to get out of the country for a little while, come visit us in Amsterdam. :-) We'll leave the light on for you.

Laurie Kepcke said...

You are always welcomed here, it is even warm enough to play volleyball!