20 Jun 2005

Lonliness Defined



I am a rock, I am an island.I’ve built walls, A fortress deep and mighty, That none may penetrate. I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.It’s laughter and it’s loving I disdain. - Simon & Garfunkel

Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable. - C.S. Lewis

Two perspectives, one to protect at all costs, one to give at all costs- even the cost of being abandoned, broken and betrayed. I am thankful that the Lord knew of such pain. I am reading in 2 Corinthians right now and am really into how much Paul loves the Corinthian church. In chapter 12 you can hear his pasison for them... how he would give his all for them... "So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less?" That's what he writes in verse 15. I think if i were a bible translator, which i'm not, and i don't know exactly what the Greek says, but if i were translating it today i would write, "So I will very gladly spend for you everthing I have and spend myself as well..." Have you ever experienced being spent out for the sake of others? It strikes me that the Corinthians were probably the most worldly/fleshly church Paul addressed in the New Testament... yet how his love for them is at least in this chapter unparallelled. I'd like to become more like Paul...

0 comments: